Sunday, January 6, 2013

USA Trip Day 1: Statue of Liberty


So mid-December 2012, my family headed to USA for the second time! This time we went to the East Coast (mainly New York, Washington D.C and Orlando). Was super duper excited cos the last time we went to the West Coast (San Francisco, Los Angeles, Nevada), I loved it so much I convinced my whole family to go again this year. (We almost ended up going to Finland instead!)

What was even more exciting was that we were taking an A380 and it's my first time. Okay I know it's not a big deal for some but the last time I took Singapore Airlines was in 2007. And it was a good thing that on such a long-haul flight we'll be traveling in a comfy plane. (:



We are almost there! I know most people don't like airplane food, but I love it! And across the 8 + 12 hours onboard, I was happily eating my meals and watching as many movies as I could!


Nicole and I on the tour bus upon reaching JFK. We traveled by tour, and we were very fortunate to have a small group of 13 tour members, of which 6 are made up by my family alone. So most of the time it felt like a private tour.


This picture accurately shows what my dad is doing 80% of the time. The tour guide would be like, "Where's Mr Tan?!" cos he'll be missing from the group. And then we'll realise that he was strategically standing at a distance filming us. lol



First stop when we reached New York was to go on the Harbor Cruise!


As much as we wanted to go up the Statue of Liberty, the island was closed off due to damages made by Hurricane Sandy. ):


It was a pretty similar experience to the one we had when we visited San Francisco back in 2009, because the first thing we did on the tour was also to take a cruise.


Along the Hudson River, we first passed by Ellis Island which was the island used back in the day as the immigration center for immigrants to the New World.



Siblings!

And finally, we see it - the Statue of Liberty, or formerly named Liberty Enlightening the World. Although my life is not in any direct way affected by the vision of this statue, but I still had goosebumps upon sight of it. In that moment I found myself emphasizing with the immigrants who had traveled far to find a better life. 








Shall end this post with a picture of a squirrel posing for the camera! The squirrels there are all very bold and not human-shy. In fact these greedy buggers will come running towards you if you make the slightest hint that you may have some food to offer.

Next post: Philadelphia!


No comments:

Post a Comment