Tuesday, November 20, 2012

DIY Tinted Lipbalm


I don't like the texture of lipstick as it can be quite drying sometimes, but I do own about 10 sticks, mostly from Clinique because they come free when I purchase over a certain amount of Clinique products. On a daily basis, to school or to a causal outing, I like to keep minimal  makeup on and for my lips it's usually lip balm or lip gloss. I was watching a Clicknetwork.tv video in the segment Tried and Tested and decided to try making my own tinted lipbalm! 

The steps are pretty simple:

Step 1: Get your lipsticks, a metal spoon, a knife (or something to stir/mix), a tea light, a tub of Vaseline (available at Watson/Guardian/etc) and a small container!






The containers I used are from Hong Kong Disneyland. They come in a pack of 4 and there are cute Disney designs on them. Every time I go to HK Disneyland I am sure to buy some back. Always meant to give them away as souvenirs but I end up keeping them because they are so cute!  I decided to use two from the Mickey pack and two from my Scrump pack. Finally found a good use for them!

Step 2: Mix an equal portion of lipstick and Vaseline on the spoon over the heat source. 
If you want a stronger color, mix less Vaseline in. This part can be quite tedious cos you have to do it in small batches. I tried to mix a larger amount but I find that the mixture does not melt evenly.


Step 3: When the mixture is fully liquid, pour it into the container and let it cool. Then leave it to set in the fridge.
It's good to get rid of any bubbles that appear also. I didn't leave it long in the fridge because after you take the mixture away from the heat source it sort of hardens quite quickly. Which explains the uneven-ness of the mixture in my container! You can use something to smoothen it down but I didn't bother because when you start using it it's going to be uneven anyway!



The colors may look quite different in tone, but after applying them on, the color difference is not super obvious. But it does add a tint of color to your lips! The texture is really smooth and balmy. For those who don't want to waste your lipsticks, this is a really low-cost way of putting them to better use. (: I'm really happy with the end result!


No comments:

Post a Comment