Sunday, June 2, 2013

USA Grad Trip 2013: Brooklyn, New York


Back from 3 weeks in the States and I'm already missing being there. ): Couldn't blog cos everyday I'll be so tired from the days' activities that I'll crash every night, plus sometimes the wifi in the hotels would be so cranky. Anyway, so not glad to be back to this hot and humid sunny island. I wanna go back to the cooling weather! ): But then again, when I left the weather started turning warm. 

USA has always been one of my top 3 favorite countries to visit. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a super big fan of American television - from trashy reality shows to teen-fiction tv series. Shopping is great, and the food is sinful but sooo yummy.


Traveled with Joel's mum who was there to both meet Joel and spend time with her good friend living in New Jersey. She didn't follow us for almost our entire journey except for when we were in New Jersey. First time taking Emirates, and I've heard people say their entertainment facilities are good! For me I felt that the seats were much bigger and more spacious than SQ's. And the toilets were much bigger and nicer as well. If I could choose I'll have SQ's service with Emirates' plane. Lol, does that even make sense?


Finally reached JFK after 20 over hours, and met up with my love. After 5 months of not seeing each other! It felt good to see him again and it really felt like the 5 months of absence passed by in a blink of an eye. LDR was not hard for us, because me being in Shanghai for 5 months in 2012  probably trained us up. Skype-ing, face-timing and daily texting was very important in maintaining our relationship and I'm glad we pulled through!


Bid farewell to his mum (who had her own transport to NJ) and we took the airtrain that would bring us from the airport to the city. It's only $5, so after transferring to the subway, it'll cost a total of $7.50. Much cheaper than taking a cab!



Their metro is a little more complicated than Singapore's. But once you get the hang of it, it is pretty okay. We got lost a couple of times due to the express and non-express trains. So make sure you take the right one!


We checked into the hotel to freshen up and put down our luggage. Then headed out again. The first and only agenda that day was to go to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, cos I was dying to see the cherry blossoms in bloom! The full bloom period was in April, and since it was early May, I had a chance to see them before they were all gone.


And we did! (:




Rows and rows of cherry blossoms trees! So damn pretty. I was just so mesmerized I wish I could just lie there all day.




Also saw lilacs! One of my favorite colors besides pink.


That was pretty much all we did on the first day! Wanted to rest up for our long drive the next day so we headed back to the hotel after grabbing some dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment